In order for accreditation to have any meaning, it is important that your online college’s accrediting agency be recognized by the Council on Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) or the U.S.
Department of Education.
Essentially, the accrediting agency itself needs to be accredited.
How do you know if an online college is accredited?
How Can I Find Out If an Online College is Accredited?
- Search the U.S. Department of Education Database. Within the website for the United States Department of Education, there is a Database of Accredited Postsecondary Institutions and Programs.
- Check the Six Main Regional Accrediting Agencies.
- Contact the Online College or University Directly.
What is the best accredited online college?
Top 10 Best Online Colleges
- Penn State World Campus.
- University of Florida.
- UMass Online.
- Northeastern University.
- Indiana University.
- Arizona State University.
- University of Minnesota.
- University of Arizona.
What online colleges are nationally accredited?
Top 10 Nationally Accredited Online Colleges
- California Coast University. Tuition: $4,725.
- Western Governors University. Tuition: $6,070.
- Grantham University.
- Columbia Southern University.
- American Public University System.
- Abraham Lincoln University.
- Rasmussen College Online.
- Southwestern Oklahoma State University.
What type of accreditation should a college have?
The most recognized and accepted type of accreditation in the United States is regional accreditation. Generally, college credits or degrees received at a regionally accredited institution are accepted by other regionally accredited colleges or universities (non-regionally accredited programs are not as accepted).